Public Schools - Advantages
Easier to deal with parents
- taxpayers, not parents, pay the majority of tuition, so the level of service parents expect is lower
Pay scale on guaranteed money
- You don't have to worry about the pay scale changing radically or whether the school might fold
because the number of students is down.
- You get a guaranteed pension and you can transfer it if you go to work at another public school or government job.
However, if you change careers (i.e. don't spend 25-30 years either teaching or working as a government employee),
when you pull your pension out, you only get what you put into it, not the employer contribution part - the
same case essentially as for private school teachers except the private school teachers keep their money as part
of each paycheck.
- Once you've taught a few years in the same school system, you're pretty safe because layoffs
occur by seniority.
- If the principal or school changes and you don't like it, you can switch to another school in
the system and keep all your perks, pay, and recognition.